Cybersecurity is in the front of the mind as we kick off 2022, with ransomware growing a scary amount in 2021. Organizations are prioritizing cybersecurity and putting serious money behind their new year commitments.
A recent report by Neustar International Security Council (NISC) found the following results in November of 2021. Here are the key findings in regard to cybersecurity (source):
4 out of every 5 organizations (80%) are increasing their cybersecurity budgets this year. Why? Let’s take a look.
- 50% of key decision-makers reported that the cyber skills gap would impact their 2022 cybersecurity strategies.
- 24% of respondents are increasing cybersecurity allocations between 31% and 50%
- 41% of respondents are increasing cybersecurity allocations between 11% and 30%
- 93% of respondents reported that cybersecurity planning requires the input of Board of Directors members (supporting the necessity of top-down buy-in)
These statistics show that organizations recognize the urgent need to prioritize cybersecurity in the current and future threat landscape. If your organization is considering upping your investment in cybersecurity, how can you know how much to increase your budget? Is there a golden number? How should you begin making the best plan to protect your organization?
5 Considerations for Cybersecurity in 2022
- Make sure you have top-down buy-in for necessary cybersecurity investments.
- Plan to scale your systems and processes to stay ahead of bad actors. Routinely meet and reassess risks & mitigation efforts.
- Address security gaps with sufficient investments in cybersecurity.
- Look to external partners for cybersecurity support- rely on qualified third-party vendors to enhance cybersecurity efforts.
- Get cybersecurity insurance now if you don’t already have it (learn more about cybersecurity insurance here).
If you feel like your organization needs guidance and clarity regarding cybersecurity this year, PK Tech can help. We can assess your current threat vulnerabilities and assist in creating a plan to address them. Get in touch with our team here.