Cybersecurity Series | Part 3
Email Security: How to Avoid Phishing and Block Scammers
Given the amount of emails sent and received in any given day at a company, it’s important to focus cybersecurity efforts on email security. Emails can be a dangerous loophole for phishing attacks if not managed properly within your business.
There are 3 common types of phishing attacks specific to email to be aware of as your expand your knowledge of cybersecurity to better protect your small business.
- Embedding links in emails that redirect users to an unsecured website requesting sensitive information.
- Asking for sensitive company information over the phone by pretending to be an existing company vendor or client.
- Changing the sender address in an email to make it appear that it is coming from a known and reputable source and then requesting sensitive company information
Countless employees and businesses fall for these common phishing attacks each year. While we do our best to help clients recover from cybersecurity attacks after they have already taken place, we believe in a proactive approach to cybersecurity whenever possible.
3 Best Email Practices to Avoid Phishing Attacks
- Verify suspicious email requests before clicking links or replying. If you’re unsure, err on the side of caution and check with the sender before opening or engaging with suspicious emails.
- Never reveal personal or financial information in an email (i.e. social security number, bank information, passwords, etc).
- Work with a cybersecurity-savy IT Company that will recommend and implement a comprehensive solution that will help minimize your exposure and train your employees on what to look out for. Example solutions: inbound and outbound email filtering, phish testing, local anti-virus & anti-cryptolocker solution, and more.
Educating yourself and your employees about email security is another easy way to protect your company’s cybersecurity threats. If you have questions about malware protection, suspicious links or other cybersecurity-related questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to PK Tech.
To contact PK Tech, click here.